Moving is always a hassle. But it’s especially difficult when you don’t know what you’re doing. If you’re like most people, you probably have no idea how to pack for a move. Lucky for you, we’ve created the ultimate guide to packing for a move! In this blog post, we’ll provide tips and advice on how to pack your belongings so that they don’t get damaged during transport. We’ll also provide a checklist of items that you should pack in your moving kit!
Step 1. Start by gathering your moving supplies
You’ll need a few things before you start packing for your move. First, you’ll need moving boxes. You can usually find these for free at grocery stores or liquor stores. Just make sure to break them down so that they fit in your car! You’ll also need packing tape, bubble wrap, and markers.
Step 2. Make a plan
Before you start packing, it’s important to make a plan. First, you should decide which rooms you want to pack first. It’s usually best to start with the rooms that you use the least. This way, you can pack up your belongings gradually and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
Next, you should make a list of all the items in each room that you need to pack. This will help you keep track of your belongings and make sure that nothing gets left behind.
Donate or throw out any items that you don’t want to move with you. This will lighten your load and make packing easier.
Finally, you should create a packing schedule. This will help you stay on track and avoid last-minute packing!
Step 3. Pack room by room
Now that you have a plan, it’s time to start packing! Begin with one room at a time and work your way through your list of belongings. Make sure to pack items that are similar together so that they’re easy to find when you unpack. For example, pack all of your clothes in one box and all of your kitchen items in another.
As you pack each item, be sure to wrap it securely in bubble wrap or packing paper. This will help protect your belongings from damage during the move. Once everything is packed up, label each box with the contents and the destination room. This will make unpacking a breeze!
Make a moving folder/Make an inventory of the items you plan to pack. This will come in handy later when you have to file an insurance claim or report missing items to the police.
Step 4. Load up the car
Now that your belongings are packed and labeled, it’s time to load up the car! Be sure to pack the heaviest boxes first so that they’re not crushing your fragile items. You should also pack your boxes tightly together so that they don’t shift during transport.
If you’re hiring a moving company, be sure to give them a copy of your inventory list. This will help them keep track of your belongings and make sure that nothing gets lost in transit!
General moving and packing tips/Packing tips for moving
- Use the right-size boxes: small for heavy items like books and large for lightweight items like pillows
- Use packing paper, not newspaper to avoid ink smudges
- Pack an essentials box with things you’ll need immediately upon arrival like toiletries and a change of clothes
- Label all your boxes with the contents and destination room
- Load the heaviest boxes first and pack them tightly together in the moving truck
- Make a moving folder with an inventory of everything you pack and important documents like your lease agreement
- Hire a reputable moving company and give them a copy of your inventory list to avoid lost items during transit.
- Tape your moving boxes well to avoid items falling out during the move.
- Pack a first-night bag with everything you’ll need for the first night in your new home like pajamas and toothpaste.
- Don’t pack flammable or hazardous materials like cleaning supplies, paint, or propane tanks.
- Disassemble furniture before moving to make it easier to transport and avoid damage.
- Wrap furniture in blankets or plastic wrap to protect it from scratches and scuffs during the move.
- Move heavy furniture first to avoid accidentally damaging walls or flooring.
- Make sure your appliances are unplugged and properly protected for the move.
- Take measurements of doorways and furniture to make sure everything will fit in your new home.
Packing for a move doesn’t have to be stressful! Just follow these simple tips and you’ll be packing like a pro in no time! And that’s it! You’re ready to move! Just follow these simple tips and you’ll be packing like a pro in no time!